Monday, January 30, 2012

Hands are amazing!

Humbling and Fearless. 2 words that are constantly on my mind while watching our son grow.  The fact that the most simple things such as hands is cause for constant attention and admiration from Ollie is so humbling. Do you realize how often we use our hands? To eat, to travel, to communicate (my favorite use), to balance...

And everyday something simple is discovered by Ollie and rediscovered by me.  The crinkle of a fruit snack pack, the flurries falling on us during a walk, a block, the fur on Piccadilly.  It really is amazing and...humbling.  As well as a great reminder to me to slow down.  Sometimes sitting in the car in a parking lot feeding Ollie, when I usually would already be off on the next errand, is exactly the pause I needed.  

As far as fearless goes, this word scares me a little more.  Because I know this is just the beginning.  Ollie is completely dependent on Ryan and me.  As he slips on my leg he is standing on and shows no concern of falling any further or what might happen if he does.  The fact that he has to have complete trust in my ability to hold on to him.  And he doesn't even know what trust is yet.  That alone blows me away.  At one point I also held so much trust for people in my lives that I didn't even have to have a label for it.  Of course that's part of the miracle of children, right?  But still amazing to think about and even more astounding to be experiencing.  

All of this has also made my mind wander to the old days as a family counselor and my colleagues who I worked with.  Particularly those who are still in the field.  And my respect for each one of them only grows.  But that is a whole other post.  Maybe when I have more than 10 minutes to post I'll tackle that one! 

For now here are some of the humbling and fearless moments we've caught with the camera! 

Working on sitting up!
The work is always easier when Piccadilly and Scout are there to cheer me on!

I now know what it means to hold on to my toys,
now what do I do. 

What is this crazy thing that ever so slightly resembles my hands?
And what is it attached to? 

Done with practicing sitting.
On to walking!

'I got this, Dad.'

2 comments:

Brian Oliver said...

This was a great one!

Chandana said...

Love the pictures! My niece is about the same age too! :)

Do visit my blog!
I have a giveaway on my blog.. check it out if interested!
Enter boticca.com giveaway, win $100
♥ www.thegirlatfirstavenue.com