Sunday, April 15, 2012

Asia Adventures, Installment 1: Ollie's International Debut

It's been 7 days since we have returned from our journey to the other side of the world, China!  We are still working out the jet lag kinks.  But all in all are feeling pretty good and still in denial that our amazing trip even happened.  Multiple times we've asked ourselves what our favorite part of the trip was, and I don't think either Ryan or I have come up with an answer we are satisfied with.

What I can do is come up with 5 categories of amazing memories from our time in Hong Kong and Beijing.  Because of the ridiculous amount of pictures we have (there were 3 cameras going for this trip and we didn't figure out the smart thing to do would be to just use one and share until day 6 of our 10 day trip), I am going to do a separate post for each category to show off some of the thousands of pictures.

Without further ado, the first category (and possibly my favorite) is Ollie's International Debut!

Seriously.  Our kid is on the road to stardom.  He handled being stared at, having his picture taken from all angles, being video taped and being touched (cheek squeezing, foot touching, hand shaking and yes some cheek kissing) like a regular Hollywood superstar.  I know, some of you are probably gasping at the last of that series (cheek squeezing, foot touching, hand shaking, kisses).  Trust me I cringe slightly when I admit to it, but honestly we did the best we could, they were stealthy admirers.  The one thing we did manage to do was prevent any strangers from holding him (except that one concubine who snuck in while  hovering during a diaper change-she got to experience mama bear first hand).  Again there were lots of stealthy admirers who tried their best to achieve this ultimate sightseeing event.  Mama Bear busted out on this particular offence (and the cheek kissing one too) and only a few times that I had to pull the 'don't make me slap your hand' stance.  But for all of you that are still very concerned, we had plenty of child friendly sanitizing wipes and he was wiped down frequently.  Plus, I made sure to kiss him about every hour all over his face so I could get the same amount of germs as he was and let breastfeeding work it's magic.

Here are a few of Ollie's paparazzi moments:
Stanley Market, Hong Kong
Note how we have surrounded them.  These lucky ladies were the only ones
that got Ollie solo for a pic.

Beijing Zoo
There were two adorable baby pandas behind everyone,
yet they all were much more interested in our baby American. 

Concubine Restaurant, Beijing
We had more waitress than I have ever seen helping us at this place!
And when I went to change his diaper, you would have thought the Emperor was using the toilet.
It was probably the largest audience Ollie will ever have during a diaper change.  

Summer Palace, Beijing
We even resorted to hiding in the corners.


Brian and Kristen's pool, Hong Kong
This is the kind of paparazzi we can handle!  


Temple of Heaven, Beijing
Ollie couldn't figure out why that little boy was so interested in
his feet!

Temple of Heaven, Beijing
This picture took awhile, both of the other children were pretty scared of Ollie/Ryan.
I'm pretty sure Ollie was just wondering if they would share their ice cream with him.

Note our personal videographer.
He followed us all around the Temple of Heaven.
We are still waiting for the video to go viral on You Tube. 

Dragon Boat-Summer Palace, Beijing
We shared this boat with some Iranians, Ryan unzipped his jacket to reveal Ollie about half way through.
The gasp and awes where plentiful and then lots of chatter and pictures commenced being taken.  

Summer Palace, Beijing
This group of gentlemen were actually more interested in the baby carrier.
Apparently they had been discussing it for some time and were pleased to find out they
had indeed figured it out...
there is a strap around the waist and over the shoulders.  

No comments: