Friday, August 26, 2011

Full Term

I had no idea what 'full term' was going to mean to me at the beginning of this pregnancy.  Actually, I probably didn't even really think it would mean anything but 'baby is here!'.  Oh, how wrong I was.

My mis-calculation of the term starts with the mis-understanding that full term starts at 40 weeks.  Full Term is 37 weeks! What!?  So the day you find out that the baby can come any day now, means today, tomorrow or 3-4 weeks from now.  To some this may not seem so bad, we are at the end of the road, we've been 'waiting' for 8 months already.  What's another 3-4 weeks, right?

Well it's 3-4 weeks of constantly second guessing every twinge, ache, and 'odd feeling' I have.  Was that a contraction? Maybe a Braxton Hicks? Or no, just gas... I've scanned message boards, websites, books for hints about what could possibly indicate to me that labor is imminent (like within days imminent), but the response is always the token: "Every pregnancy and labor is different."  I have even tried to negotiate with Piccadilly a deal of extra bully sticks if she gives me a heads up when labor may be starting (dogs can tell these things, right?).  Her response was to lazily put her head back on the couch, no such luck there.

In addition to my own anxious anticipation, I also have the honor of hearing "are you in labor?!?" on the other side of the line when I call my mother, husband and even brother! I've decided that a baby line should be invented and given to all 'full term' mom's to be.  That way all family members and friends will know the time has come when that number flashes on there phones.  Or maybe just a bat signal, but for babies.

So unless you have a way to tell this kitchen timer is ready to ding, then please just pass the ice cream...with salted caramels on top.  I'm going to milk these last 3-4 weeks as much as I can!




No comments: